Henry Highland Corel was born April 2, 1814. Henry Highland is one of our biggest clues that Rebecca Oney’s mother was Sarah Highland Oney.
Nancy Matney and Henry Highland Corel
August 2, 1838 Henry Corel married Nancy Matney (also seen spelled Matiney) in Tazewell County, Virginia. Henry and Nancy traveled with his family to Missouri and later settled in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas.
Henry Corel died May 15, 1855 in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas. Nancy Matney Corel died soon after, in October of the same year. Their only son, William Corel, also died in 1855. All three were victims of the measles epidemic that swept Lawrence in that year. All were buried in Mt. Oread Cemetery. In 1871 their remains were relocated to Oak Hill Cemetery.
- Sarah Jane was born about 1839 in Tazewell County, Virginia.
- William was born about 1840 in Tazewell County, Virginia. He died in 1855 in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas.
- Jemima M was born April 22, 1842 in Tazewell County, Virginia.
- Julia Ann was born January 25, 1844 in Tazewell County, Virginia.
- Margaret was born about 1846 in Tazewell County, Virginia. She lived with her aunt Nancy Maryland Corel LaHay after the death of her parents. Margaret is last found on the 1865 Kansas Census still living with Nancy Maryland Corel LaHay in Clinton, Douglas County, Kansas.
- Louisa was born about 1848 in Tazewell County, Virginia. She lived with her aunt Cosby Jane Corel Justice in 1860, but does not appear to have moved with the Justice family to Wyandotte County, Kansas by the 1865 census. After reviewing the 1865 census records for each of Louisa’s aunts and uncles, I cannot find where she may have been located during this year. Louisa married Thomas McGhee on July 1, 1867 at the home of John Jacob and Olivia Gillespie Corel McGee. I believe that Thomas McGhee was the son of John Jacob’s uncle, Robert McGhee. Agnes Salathiel Hall wrote in her brief manuscript of an aunt “Lida” who married a McGee, lived in Texas, and had a son named Robert Lee McGee. Agnes also mentions that “Lida” died in a storm. I have not been able to locate a McGee/McGhee family in Texas that matches with this family. At this time I have not been able to find any further information on Louisa Corel.
- Rebecca Elizabeth was born about 1853 in Jackson County, Missouri.