The photo to the left of Rebecca Corel’s gravemarker was provided by Teresa Martin Klaiber of Family Lineage Investigations. Teresa is the wife of one of Rebecca’s great-great grandsons, James Klaiber.
If you visit Teresa’s site, you will see that the Corel name is spelled a bit differently. I have found that many people in the area of Virginia and Kentucky spell the name Correl. In fact, on Rebecca Corel’s death certificate, you will see that Rebecca’s son, Tom McGlothlin, named her father as ‘William Carl’.
Rebecca Ann Correl and Robert Emmitt McGlothlin
Rebecca An ‘Croel’ was married to Robert Emmitt McGlothlin by William McGuire on October 29, 1840 in Tazewell County, Virginia. The newlyweds settled in the Clinch Valley in Richlands, Tazewell County, Virginia. Rebecca and Robert would have 14 children between 1840 and 1866. Two of these children were twins, but not born on the same day. Sarah Jane McGlothlin was born February 29, 1860 and Barbara L. McGlothlin was born March 1, 1860.
Family history shows that two sons signed up to fight for the South during the Civil War. James P. McGlothlin was a member of the 16th Regiment of the Virginia Calvary. John McGlothlin died in Wytheville, Wythe County, Virginia July 31, 1861. It is interesting to note that it was in the early Spring of 1861 that Virginia chose to secede from the Union to side with the Southern Movement after realizing that there would not be a peaceful resolution to the situation facing the country. Immediately following the secession, the Union forces entered Virginia and many men in the state volunteered to defend the Old Dominion. No documentation has been found yet proving John’s service during the Civil War. This could be due to a misspelling of ‘McGlothlin’ that hasn’t been found yet, or John may have died on his way to join up with the gathering Regiments in Wytheville. Rebecca Correl McGlothlin would have been about a month pregnant with her 12th child when she learned of John’s death.
Rebecca Correl and Robert McGlothlin migrated with their family to Lawrence County, Kentucky between 1870 and 1880. This is where they were living when Robert died, April 13, 1900. He is buried a short distance away at Buckley Cemetery, Seed Tick, Lawrence County, Kentucky. Rebecca’s son, Thomas, provided care for his mother throught the remainder of her life. Rebecca Ann Correl died February 15, 1912 from old age and natural causes. She was also suffering from a dislocated hip from a fall she had endured. Rebecca is buried next to her husband, Robert McGlothlin, in Buckley Cemetery.
- Margaret was born May 5, 1840 in Russell County, Viriginia.
- John was born in 1843 in Richlands, Tazewell County, Virginia. He died July 31, 1861 in Wytheville, Wythe County, Virginia.
- James P. (Pickens?) was born August 24, 1844 in Tazewell County, Virginia.
- Cosby was born 1846 in Virginia. She died in 1858 in Virginia
- Elizabeth was born about 1848.
- Olivia was born April 7, 1850 in Tazewell County, Virginia.
- Nancy was born in 1852.
- Martha J. was born November 30, 1854 in Russell County, Virginia.
- Mary Evaline was born in 1856.
- Sarah Jane was born February 29, 1860 in Tazewell County, Virginia. Sarah is the twin of Barbara L.
- Barbara L. was born March 1, 1860 in Tazewell County, Virginia. Barbara is the twin of Sarah Jane.
- Amanda was born in March 1862 in Tazewell County, Virginia.
- William R. was born about 1865 in Virginia.
- Thomas R. was born May 1866 in Virginia.