Sarah Jane Corel is the first child born to Henry Highland Corel and Nancy Matney about 1839 in Tazewell County, Virginia. Sarah would have been about 10 at the time the family traveled from their home near Clinch River in Virginia to Westport Landing, Jackson County, Missouri.
We can feel fairly confident in our guess of Sarah’s birth year of 1839 from a couple of different sources. First, we know that Henry “Curle” and Nancy “Matenle” were married on August 2, 1838 in Tazewell County, Virginia1. The year following their marriage would be a logical year for the birth of their first child. Second, Sarah is listed with the “Carl” family in Washington, Jackson County, Missouri on the 1850 census as 11 years old2.
Sarah Jane “Correl” married James F. Oney on October 26, 1853 in Jackson County, Missouri3. Sarah would have been about 14 at the time of her marriage. James F. Oney was born about 1827 to Hannah Skaggs and Squire Oney in Tazewell County, Virginia.
Nothing more is found on Sarah Jane or James after their marriage.
I was able to find a couple of possibilities that could be James. First, is this service card for J. F. Oney who served in the Missouri State Guard with the Confederacy4. The second possibility is a James Oney who was enlisted in Company I of the 8th Regiment of the Enrolled Missouri Militia on the side of the Union5. This James Oney enrolled in “St. Luis”, Missouri as a Private under Captain Hawkins on April 30, 1864, was ordered into active service by General Pike in St. Louis on July 1, 1864 and was relieved from duty only 30 days later on July 31, 1864 by General Ewing. As this regiment was located in the St. Louis area, I don’t think that this is ‘our’ James F. Oney, but I did think it was enough of a possibility to include it. The third and final possibility that I have found I believe to be tied to the second Oney possibility listed here. It is for a special tax assessment of $4.17 for a James Oney living at 193 N 4th6. From reviewing earlier pages in this file, District 1 appears to be located in the St. Louis area.
I also reviewed census records but was unable to find a James and Sarah, even looking into Kentucky or Virginia, hoping that they may have moved back East after Sarah’s parents died.
- Ancestry.com. Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850 (database on-line). Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 1999. Original data: Dodd, Jordan R., et al. Early American Marriages: Virginia to 1850. Bountiful, UT, USA: Precision Indexing Publishers. <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=va2&h=44171&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt> (accessed June 1, 2009) ↩
- Ancestry.com. 1850 United States Federal Census (database on-line). Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005. Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Seventh Census of the United States, 1850. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1850. M432, 1,009 rolls. Year: 1850; Census Place: Washington, Jackson, Missouri; Roll: M432_402; Page: 261; Image: 70. <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1850usfedcenancestry&h=3819944&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt> (accessed March 27, 2007) ↩
- Ancestry.com. Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002 (database on-line). Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007. Original data: Missouri Marriage Records. Jefferson City, MO, USA: Missouri State Archives. Microfilm. <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=momarriages&h=8846818&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt> (accessed 5/6/2009) ↩
- Footnote.com. Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Missouri. Publication Number: M322. Content Source: NARA. Military Unit: State Guard, Mo-Pe. Surname Starts With: O. Givenname: J F. Surname: Oney. Year: 1861. <http://www.footnote.com/spotlight/9737/j_f_oney/> (accessed June 1, 2009) ↩
- Missouri Digital Heritage. Soldiers’ Records: War of 1812 – World War I. Record Group: Office of Adjutant General. Series Title: Record of Service Card, Civil War, 1861-1865. Box: 63. Reel: s771. <http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/soldiers/details.asp?id=S238698&conflict=Civil%20War&txtName=Oney,%20James&selConflict=Civil%20War&txtUnit=&rbBranch=all#> (accessed June 1, 2009) ↩
- Ancestry.com. U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 (database on-line). Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2008. Original data: Name: James Oney. State: Missouri. Tax Year: 1864. Roll Title: District 1; Special Lists; Aug-Dec 1864. National Archives (NARA) microfilm series: M776. NARA Roll: 7 . <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?ti=0&indiv=try&db=irstax&h=6563022> (accessed June 1, 2009) ↩