Olivia Gillespie Corel Upload

Not nearly all that I have is up, but I do have the basics. I found that I kept going back and back wanting to add more and more. I have to find a stopping point and move on to the next child. I already know that I need to go through all of the children to add more. A couple of the children may be as far as they can be until new information is found on the child’s life, or until I get into the stories of their children.

You know, the ‘hugeness’ of this task is starting to hit me. All previous projects I have undergone in the past were ones that I would finish easily in a week or two. LOL (LOL is ‘cyber-ese’ for Laughing Out Loud) This has already taken a month and I’m not through the first 13 people (William, Rebecca, and the children who lived to marrying age), and there is so much more to be entered just on them!

Oh yes, a side note – Be happy I’m using ‘cyber-ese’ rather than the ‘Valley Talk’ that was so big in the ’80s!

:P

Anyhow, back to how big this project is!! So I just looked, and I have about 100 grandchildren for William and Rebecca!! Averaging one or two people a week, will have me done with that generation in about a year! Yikes!

Yes, I know you are now laughing. You were amazed when I said I wanted to do this. But understand, I thought this would be just another easy project that wouldn’t take too long. No, I’m not stopping this, please don’t think that. I am now amazed that I am doing this! You see, with all of the thank-you’s I’ve received for taking on this project, I’ve brushed it off that it was no big deal. Still, to me, it’s no big deal because I want to do it. Now, however, I understand that to each of you this is a big deal that someone is willing to take on such a huge project!

OK, so how did I come to this massive realization? I received an email from California Corel Cousin Bobby that she had some of her genealogy friends look at our little site. The response was wonderful, and I believe there was a bit of pride between the lines when she said they were jealous of not have someone in their line creating a similar site!

Minor Updates

I also made some minor updates yesterday. I went through and made sure each of the links was working right. Several were not and it was difficult to manage to one child’s page from another child’s page. That should be fixed now.

I also ‘fixed’ the full-sized photo for the 1924 Corel-McGee picnic. It is not the full original size, but it is still of good quality and much easier to see without waiting an eternity for it to download! I looked at the other photos and nothing else seemed to take too long in loading, but if you find any that do, again, please let me know! I haven’t played with compressing them any further than they are. They work good for me, but I have a cable connection. For those of you on dial up, especially, tell me if anything takes too long, it is not hard to fix and will only take me about 2 minutes per photo.

The next change has been the addition of ‘Friends of Corel Cousins’. It has been pointed out to me that it is not just the descendants of William and Rebecca who may enjoy this site, many others may find interests here in the stories of the Corel family as well! In fact, I have already personally granted Honorary Corel Cousinship to more than one person!
Wink

Never was it my intention to imply that only those who can prove blood relation are to be welcome here! So, I made a few additions of including the friends on the home page! So, to be certain, I want everyone to know that I would like to hear from anyone via blog comment or email who finds anything on this site they would like to discuss, ask questions about, or make a contribution.

As previously discussed

I have recently been contacted by a new found cousin! Her name is Janet, she lives in Oregon, and her ancestors are Cosby Jane and William Justice, Louise and Albert Berten Justice, Fern Opal and Glenn McHenry. Fern and Glenn are Janet’s grandparents. Janet has just begun digging through all of her family treasures and piecing together the family.

Questions for Today…

After working on each of the pages, I discover that I have questions without answers by the time I’ve exhausted my searches online and through my materials. I think I will start asking the questions here, first, so I don’t forget! and second, so that maybe someone with the answer can let me know! My first question involves the following photo.

Douglas County Map

Does anyone have a better map? LOL This one is pretty rough. I am trying to picture where the different families live and this is the best I’ve found so far. Yes, I know that if I go to the Douglas County Library or Courthouse, I will find the map showing exactly what I want, but life does not always allow for such trips! Does anyone have a photo copy of the 1857 map showing who owned what land? Does anyone have a digital copy?

In reading Olivia’s obituary several times in the last few days, I have become very curious about the property that is now Oak Hill Cemetery. I knew that the property was donated by the Corel family since birth, or at least since the first time I visited the cemetery! I did not know that the land that is now the cemetery is where the first house stood. Does anyone know where in the cemetery the house was? I have imagined that the tall tree next to the red McGee monument may have stood in the front yard. I have imagined that perhaps the house was on top of one of the hills that do not yet have graves. Or near the site where the Civil War soldiers are buried. One day last fall, Rick and I walked all over the old sections of the cemetery. This weekend we have discussed a second trip to go ‘exploring’, but this time with a camera!! There are far to many graves there, I have no intention of documenting the entire cemetery, or even the older sections! I have photos of James Pickens Corel’s monument, as well as the plots reserved for James Henry and his children. I need to get the McGee stones which are all right next to each other. It may take some time to find the others I know are there, but there are also just so many interesting stones. Then, I would also like to shoot the land itself. Unfortunately I will not be able to share some of the sites we saw this fall, as it was a couple of weeks after a tornado/microburst had hit and not all of the clean up had been completed yet. But I hope those of you who do not live in the area or had the opportunity to just walk around the cemetery and look at the land that was once lived on by Pioneers, and Native Americans before them, will enjoy what I hope to bring in the future, and perhaps dream with me of what the land may have looked like then.

OK, I’m wrapping! Laughing Now those of you who don’t know me too well see how I compensate after being too sick for too long! Have a GREAT week!

This entry was posted in Genealogy. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Olivia Gillespie Corel Upload

1. Bobby Title says:

I love your blog and what you are doing, as you well know.

Don’t jump the gun on the Oak Hill property. Yes, some of it belonged to the Corels. There is the story about William the son taking the property that Henry and family had. There also is a deed showing that William? James? (I can’t remember) deeded the property to Thomas Sternberg and Thomas gave it to the city for Oak Hill Cemetery. The details of the latter trade is listed in the front of Volume 1 of the Douglas County Genealogical Society’s Cemetery Book. I donated my copy to the San Bernardino Library thinking I wouldn’t use it anymore. HAH! So much for that foolish maneuver! The Lawrence library certainly has a copy.

When Henry died, his two brothers, William and James P., were appointed executors. On Henry’s probate records there is a place where it looks like all of the orphans signed off on the deed to their property (a baby 3 years old signing off?) Judy Sweets, formerly of the Watkins Museum and now with the Tourist Bureau, I think, did some early research for me and commented on this probate matter. Part of the problem is that many of the early records only give you part of the story. Anyway, I think once we get the the exact legal description of the Corel properties (which I think most are on the pre-emption list which is buried down in my filing cabinet somewhere), I’ll betcha Tom McGee, our cousin in Eudora, can tell us or help us find out exactly what and whose property was sold and where it is in the cemetery. Tom’s worked with property and legal descriptions for years. Virginia is his wife and they’ve been to all our reunions and are exceptionally knowledgeable. He descends from Joshua Puckett through Rebecca Puckett McGee (wife of Thomas).

2. Gene Dixon says:

Paula,
    I’m going to make some suggestions. Following is what you have:
    Olivia Gillespie was born January 14, 1838. Olivia is the youngest child of William and Rebecca. Olivia’s obituary says that the Corel family arrived at Wesport Landing in 1849 by way of the river boats carrying pioneers to the West.
    —————————-
    I know who we are talking about. I know this site is about Corels and McGees and all the rest.

But, please don’t assume that everyone will know just exactly who you are talking about, when you are talking about them. It is so much more clear to ME (and possibly others) when you add everyone’s LAST NAME no matter where you are in the site. And please, always remember to use the female’s maiden name.

You are doing a great job, but please, please follow a little closer some basic genealogical “rules”. I think it’s more important than you may realize.

Gene Dixon

3. Just touching base to let you know what a great job you are doing. Should you wish to nab the mini bio on Robert & Rebecca McGlothlin for your site I can remove it from mine later. You have permission or to edit – I have been scanning some of my docs and am no where near notebooks beginning with McGlothlin but I will keep in mind Robert and Rebecca when I do and send you copies of anything directed at Rebecca.

4. Mom says:

Hi Sweetie, my what a long blog. Sure am glad you are feeling better.
    I have some comments to your blog.

I knew what you were getting into when you started this website. I have attempted to keep up with the family on paper and with a computer, but not to the degree that you are. Of course, you knew that.

I have a large map of the territory where our ancestors homestead. I have had it for many years. I think that Bobby might have sent it to me.

Secondly, I’m not real sure where the original house was in what is now the cemetery. You may want to contact Gloria to see if she recalls any family members talking about the original house.

As I can remember, the land was owned by a McGee but I think that Rebecca [#1] may have sold the land to him. I don’t think that it is where the McGee headstone is, but then I might be wrong.

We are all very proud of what you are doing for our family and for generations to come. I am glad that a younger generation person is undertaking this. This will make things easier when the “baton” of the reunion is passed down!!
    Let me know when you and Rick plan on making a cemetery run. I haven’t been in other parts of the cemetery in years. I can remember going with Grmama way back where you could see the house. Some of our family is back there.

Good work!!
    Love Mom

5. Paula says:

Bobby – I promise not to go off half cocked! That’s why I wanted to blog my thoughts! I knew that it was quite possible that the Corels did not own all of the land now used by the cemetery. That is also why I asked if anyone had a map close at hand. If not, I will make it to the library eventually to find what I’m looking for! So glad to know that someone may be able to help in figuring out the finer points, too!

Gene – Thank you so much! I had wondered about how I should handle the names. I will go back through now to fix the pages! If I miss any other things that should be clearer, please let me know!

Oh yes, should I use the full place names each time? That is another subject I have gone back and forth on.

Paula :)

6. Paula says:

Teresa – I think you just saved my life! That will certainly help a great deal on the next page to be done! Thank you so very much! I’ll email you later to let you know what I decide to do on Rebecca’s page!

Mom – I didn’t see the map when I went through everything… Of course you will know when we are coming out! :P

Paula :)

7. Teresa Klaiber says:

Paula, sorry to make the blog longer but after looking over your wonderful web page I realize that no where on the main page did you put your name as the author. You need to give credit where credit is due – yes there is a link to your email but a new person would not know you are are the creator. Another reason for doing so is if someone wants to use your site as a citation in their material – giving the url is not a complete citation. Even with the copyright you still need to put your “John Hancock”

8. Paula says:

Thank you again, Teresa, going back to update the pages now!

Paula

9. Paula says:

Gene & Teresa – All updates have been made! Thank you both again!!

Paula :)

10. Mom says:

I forgot about the map when you were here going through my records.
    It’s in a rolled tube that I have kept in the closet all these many years. Every now and then I get it out to look at.
    I also have the book that Bobby was talking about. The authors didn’t give the Corels much space. But then, I and a few others were the only ones who gave any information on the Corels.
    I,too, agree with Gene. With all of the repeat of names through the generations, it makes it very confusing.
    I’m sure Virginia McGee and Tom would give you any help that you may need. All you need to do is email Virginia.
    Love, Mom

11. Michelle says:

Great job Paula….with the blog & website! Bet you could make a living out of setting up genealogy websites for other families. :)

One other thing…Wow…100 grandkids! :)

12. Paula says:

Mom – Beware of the next trip Rick and I make to Lawrence! And you thought I was just interested in the photos!!

Chelle – Thanx! You know, Abby does sleep quite a bit yet, I should recruit you for typing services!! :)

13. Bobby Title says:

I can’t tell you all how pleased I am that 1) Paula has provided a focus for us that is much needed; 2) that she’s doing such a great job, and 3) that her enthusiasm is sending all of us researchers back into our own Corel files to sharpen up our perceptions of what is or what isn’t correct. And at a very personal level, I have to think back to 1990 when I walked into that first Corel reunion not knowing ANYBODY and ended up with a family that is as close as my “real” cousins.

I have been very concerned that there is not one of my children, all now middle-aged adults, who is interested in family heritage. I’ve spent the last year getting most of my lines on WorldConnect, not just the names and dates but also transcribed documents that other researchers would have a devil of a time finding. But what do do with my files?

In Spoon River Anthology a deceased Rev. Abner Peet writes, “I had no objection at all to selling my household effects at auction on the village square. It gave my beloved flock the chance to get something that belonged to me for a memorial. But that trunk which was struck off to Burchard, the grog-keeper! Did you know it contained the manuscripts of a lifetime of sermons? And he burned them as waste paper.”

That is how I felt my Corel files were going to be handled when my time came. So when Paula started this website, I decided that she would be the inheritor of my Corel files. I’m parceling them out to her as I get them tidied up. By all of us pitching in and getting the stories right, future researchers aren’t going to have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. Paula will have it all, not just my files but the information that all of us have worked so hard to develop!

PAULA, YOU GO, GIRL!!!!

14. Paula says:

Bobby that is just so very sweet of you to say. Thank you so very much!! :)

15. Grandma says:

YE Gods Girl!!!!!!!!!! You have really started something. It is wonderful!!!

Keep up the good work.

I’m trying to think what i know about the original house but need more time.

Love U

16. Paula says:

Thanx Grandma!! :)

17. shawn says:

Thanks so much for making me a honorary Corel cousin. Since Rebecca Oney Corel raised my ggrandfather William B. Peart, his brother Stuart (who died young), and his sister Mary Louise Peart Steele I know she (Rebbecca) had to have been a kind and strong women. She made a differance in many future lives, in a way I’m sure she never thought about. Have a great day. Shawn

18. joe cullen says:

hi guys ;;;;;
    i’m still here
    computer was down
    Paula, please send me email addresses for bobbie and connie. my address book disappeared

19. joe cullen says:

my “newcomb” info is due for a massive transfusion!!

the univ of illinois is to send me a coopy of my uncle Rex newcomb’s 25 psge notebok he wrote on the history of my “newcombs”
    this uncle was a prolific writer published numerous papers ,etc. i will share!!